Saturday 29 January 2011

Trafalgar, Pret and Jet Lag

So the Heathrow Express was shocking (in a good way).  It was truly amazing.  The floors were spotless.  The seats and the entire train was in prime condition.  Compared to the "L", it was like world class travel.  I finally figured out how to text, and I was able to send texts to my friends about my arrival.

The train ride seemed to be set in traditional London fashion: dark/damp weather.  The train zipped through the outskirts of the city, and I could instantly see some of the differences between here and the US.  The houses were obviously smaller and inexplicably squished.  The windows, doors and buildings looked like a person trying to fit into something sizes too small.  They did look charming, but just a weird observation.

Once I arrived to Paddington Station, I needed to get a cab to my friend's flat.  I was actually a little worried about this because I wasn't sure how to flag a cab in the UK.  I wasn't sure if it's like the US where you just keep waving your arms like a baboon until a cab stops.  Fortunately, Paddington station had a line plastered on the ground to direct pedestrians to the taxi rank.  So I just got in line with others to wait for the cabs; however, we were ushered into spots where a cab would pull up and wait for direction.  After watching the people go in front me, I realized you're supposed wait for the cab to pull up.  Then, they roll down the window, and they wait for you to tell them where you need to go.  If they know where it it is, you get in.  Not sure what happens if they don't know where to go? (Side note: I still don't know how to flag a cab here.  I'll just rely on someone else to take care of it.)

According to my friend, you don't really have to tip your cab driver in London.  I wasn't sure if I should trust them, but I ended up tipping the guy a pound.  After being silent the entire ride from Paddington to the flat, the tip really seemed to perk him up.  He wanted to my bag and wanted to make sure I got to the exact correct address.  It was a nice touch.

My friend's flat was charming.  Seven people, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big open kitchen, and a living room with two couches and a TV.  A little cramped by US standards, but it was a pretty nice view.  For Europe, it was perfect. My friend and I dawdled around the flat for like 20 minutes (checked email, facebook, etc.) then started the walk to her class.  Keep in mind, it's like 2:00pm on day two of traveling with little sleep. I was exhausted to begin with, and after the 35 minute walk to her class building, I was beyond tired.  Her class is less than a block away from Trafalgar Square.  Her building was breathtaking.  She's goes to Notre Dame, and it's like Notre Dame in London. (They outbid the country of France for the use of the building.  France wanted to use it for an embassy. Needless to say, ND won.)

My friend gave me a map and an umbrella.  For three hours, I needed to entertain myself around the Square and its area.  I also neeeeeded to eat again.  I was starving.  So I stopped in at one of the five million "Pret A Manger"'s.  For those that don't know, Pret is like an already made sandwich/soup/salad place.  They charge more for eating at their locations (an extra pound).  It was delicious. A nice beef sandwich with rye bread, roasted onions, and a mustard/mayo spread really hit the spot.  After a large water, I felt like a person again.

After Pret, I walked down a random street to see what I'd find.  I kind of refused to take out the map: I did NOT want to be a huge tourist.  Obviously a stubborn thought, but I wasn't exactly thinking too clearly at the time. I stumbled upon St. James's Park, but it was a little rainy and cold.  I didn't feel like walking in the park at that time.  I looped around the block and saw Big Ben, Westminster, Parliament and St Margaret's Church.  Epic block.  A snapped a few postcard-esque pictures and moved along the Thames.  I saw the British aquarium (or so I was told) and the London Eye.  That is definitely something I want to try and ride before leaving London.  I continued on aimlessly walking until I made my way back to Trafalgar Square.

At this point, I was starting to get tired, and the damp/cold weather really picked up.  I decided to take a look around the free National Gallery.  The art inside was pretty uneventful.  The art from 1250-1500 all looked the same: misshapen, fat and naked women with a clothed muscular man and their child or children.  Usually, they had Jesus in them or the Bible or some other clearly Christian reference.  I snagged a seat on a plush leather couch and slept for 30 minutes.  I was sleeping sitting up next to a middle-aged Asian man who was doing the same thing.  I thought they were going to yell at me, so I'd jerk awake or my head would pop up.  The old British people/young kids on field trips probably thought I was strung out on something.  Finally, my friend got out of class, and we headed back to her flat.

1 comment:

  1. I've ALWAYS wanted to try Pret a Manger. We have one right by work. Is it good?

    ReplyDelete