Saturday 19 February 2011

Market, Harrod's and Puppies

So after our splendid (a little flowery for my taste, but I need to use some more varied adjectives) day trip, we had a very relaxing day in London.  We slept in and headed out to the Borough (sp?) Market for the afternoon. It was insane. During the warmer months of the year, Madison has a farmer's market on Saturday afternoons. Those pale in comparison to this spectacle.

When I was told we were going to a market for the day, I wasn't overly excited.  I guess I didn't know what to expect, or at least, I was totally shocked when we got there.  First, there were a LOT more people at this market when compared to the Madison one.  The selection of items was also exceptionally different.  It makes sense since less things are in season in January.  I couldn't quite place a staple item to this market. In Madison, it's fruit, vegetables and cheese.  That's pretty much it. Here, there's a much more eclectic set of things.  There were olives (tons), tea, china, souvenirs, cheese, falafel, Indian stands, German sausage stands, Ostrich burgers, olive oil, breads, seafood, soups, sandwiches, smoothies, Kangaroo burgers, pastas: everythinggg.  So many stands, so many people, so many free samples!



My personal favorites were the buffalo mozzarella (so moist), all the oil olives (too many flavors), and this unbelievable Darjeeling tea.  I was surprised by the ostrich/kangaroo burgers, and I refused to drop five pounds per burger to try them.  I just think there's something wrong with eating ostriches and kangaroos (especially kangaroos).  I guess ostriches are like overgrown chickens, but just too much outside my comfort zone.  We decided to eat there, and I waited in line for 15 minutes for this crazy good chicken sandwich.  The chicken was marinated in a lemon, garlic and olive oil sauce.  The bread was fresh with dark green leafs and fried squares of a cheese that started with an A.  I also spread some fresh mint over the top.  It was probably the best chicken sandwich I've ever had in my life. A picture is below, but it doesn't do it justice:


After the delectable sandwich, my friend and I headed to Harrod's.  My mom said if some of my friends lived in London and didn't know what Harrod's was, they weren't women... A pretty scathing assessment, but after going, I could see what she means.  Harrod's was bedazzled from floor to ceiling.  There's no other way to describe it.  Before getting there, I thought I might pick up a pair of shoes.  After checking out the prices, I decided very few items in this mega-super-store weren't quite in my price range.


Some highlights from Harrod's:
1) Huge candy store.  They had their version of Frango mints and some actual Frango mints as well.  Also, there was a huge food court that had a Starbuck's in it.
2) Luxury home furnishings.  There were vases for over 14,000 pounds (currency). I was in awe.  It didn't seem like anyone was buying any of them, but every definitely walked through to take a peak
3) Unbelievable kid's section.  I was an entire floor!  There were board games, stuffed animals, remote-control cars, etc. everywhere.  I guess there was a 10,000 pound (currency) golden Monopoly board somewhere in Harrod's. Sadly, I couldn't locate it, but I did find this awesome fake snow.  It felt cold and airy, and it even packed like really snow.  However, when you'd shake it off your hands, it was like dust. Coolest little play bin ever.
4) Finally, pet store and beauty salon. They had little puppies inside big cages for people to come look at them! I guess they used to have tigers and animals like that there too, but then got rid of them.  not sure why, but they turned that space into a pet beauty salon.  They had see-through glass where you could see all these gadgets and even a doggy treadmill! It was terrifying and hilarious all at the same time.

Side Note: There are so many dogs in London! I was completely shocked at the number of people who were walking their dogs.  And, a number of them didn't have leashes with them! The dogs were insanely well-behaved and friendly.  I couldn't help but think about one little miss Kozi Kohler who would be running wild around London without a leash...

After a day at Harrod's, we went back to my friend's flat, made dinner then just relaxed.  After being constantly on the move the past two days straight, it was nice to finally sit and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment